Wounded Chindit

Wounded Chindit

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Games Workshop

Earlier this year I went in to the local (Aylesbury) branch of the store - well tried to but on the first attempt on a Monday it was shut and the second attempt on the following Tuesday it was shut too. I needed a couple of paints so went back the following Saturday and it was open. I was surprised how few people there were in the shop and only one assistant. I've been back a few times through the year and it's always been quiet and I just assumed it was an Aylesbury thing - the Kingston upon Thames store was always heaving when I lived there 11 years ago.
On Saturday I took the boys to a party in Highwycombe and took the chance to pop in to that branch and it was completely dead with one member of staff. I noticed that it was also shut all day Monday and Tuesday.
Is Games Workshop dying a slow death or is it going strong on the internet?
I've never been bothered either way by Games Workshop apart from easy access to paints (and a few boxes of 40k imperial figures in the 90's) but it always seemed a good starting place in this hobby of ours.


3 comments:

  1. this is so familiar for me. I too pretty much only buy paints direct from GW now, and GW Bedford never seems to be open when I wan some, it's either Monday or Tuesday, or the one member of staff is on a week (or two) holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed the same in Eastbourne, just one poor chap trying to do everything from run the demo games to man the till. Like you, I enjoyed been able to pick up paints, particularly undercoat spray, without the hassle of persuading the postman to push it through my door and so this is all very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure of the prognosis, but I am always surprised to the GW store around the corner still in business. I wish them the best, but haven't gone in myself in over a year. Too much stuff on the internet!

    ReplyDelete